“My mom told me this story – or was it a dream?”
It makes sense that it might take another painter to make a masterly, even painterly film about a painter. In both of these scenes from the 1996 film, director Julian Schnabel conveys an idiosyncratic ingenuousness in Jeffrey Wright‘s Jean-Michel Basquiat that mixes with his world waryness. In the first scene Michael Wincott plays Rene Ricard. In the second scene, Benicio Del Toro plays the composite character Benny Dalmau.
- Movie Review | ‘Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child': Tamra Davis’s Portrait of Elusive Artist at Film Forum (movies.nytimes.com)
- Basquiat’s first European retrospective, at the Musée d’Art Moderne in Paris. (slate.com)
- Asked & Answered | Tamra Davis (tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Film: Review: Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child (avclub.com)
- Basquiat Beat Bop (wiretotheear.com)
- Rene Ricard Print Goes On Sale Monday at Exhibition A (luxist.com)