It isn’t the most famous scene in the film – that would be holding the chicken between her knees – but it is the film’s most emotionally naked, its thematic center. As Jack Nicholson’s Bobby Dupea reveals himself to his stricken, speechless father, played by William Challee, whose apparently compassionate face bears, in its unresponsive immobility, any reading, Bobby might just as well be talking to God. It is hard to overstate the emblematic character of the currently forgotten Bob Rafaelson’s Five Easy Pieces during the film era of Easy Riders and Raging Bulls .
- CineFile: The Birth of Cool Hand (sadredearth.com)
- CineFile: The Crowd (sadredearth.com)
- CineFile – Paths of Glory (sadredearth.com)
- CineFile (sadredearth.com)
- CineFile – The Farewell Waltz (sadredearth.com)